Smoking of eggplant turns simple eggplant into a smoky vegetable which is a flavorful and enjoyable dish. Furthermore, you can serve them with your favorite sauce or dip and also serve with boiled rice or fried rice. In this guide, we mention some recipes for the smoked marinated eggplant, and seriously you will love them whenever you try these recipes. Also, the smoking eggplant recipe is very simple and easy to prepare.
In my opinion, eggplant is one of the most satisfying vegetables. Moreover, eggplant (brinjal or aubergine) has a basic taste but when you combine it with another flavor it absorbs them and tastes phenomenal.
Additionally, smoked eggplant uses simple ingredients and is a very budget-friendly dish. Vegetarians and vegans alike will enjoy this dish as a meal option. Also, you can serve it as a main dish or as a side dish.
How to prepare smoked marinated eggplant?
Next, I will share some of the easiest, fastest, and most flavorful ways to cook smoked marinated eggplant. Further, I share smoked marinated eggplant with olive oil recipe and smoked eggplant with a sweet lemon vinaigrette recipe below. I’m sure whenever you try this recipe you love them.
So, without further ado let’s move to the recipe of smoked aubergine with some seasoning or marinating.
Recipe # 1: Smoked marinated eggplant with olive oil
- 1-2 large eggplant
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin (roasted and grounded)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp coriander (roasted and grounded)
- ½ tsp ginger (powder/paste)
- ½ tsp garlic (powder/paste)
- 2 tsp coconut aminos
- 1-2 tsp olive oil/avocado oil (optional)
- ½ tsp red pepper or cayenne pepper
For serving (optional)
- Tahini or garlic dill sauce
- Olive oil
- Parsley (Fresh)
- Wash the eggplant and cut into ¼ slice round.
- Take a bowl and add ginger paste, garlic paste, sea salt, cumin, coriander, olive oil, and half coconut aminos. Gently mix everything together.
- Coat every slice of eggplant and use your finger to evenly spread the coating. Ensure all slices are covered evenly.
- Leave them for 2-3 hours for proper marinade flavor.
- Take a baking dish and brush the surface of the dish with little oil that prevents sticking. Then place the coated slice on the dish.
- Place in the oven and roast them for 15-20 minutes until it becomes golden brown.
- Heat the grill or grilling pan and brush the oil. After 15 minutes, transfer them to a grill/ pan.
- Grill the slices until tender. If you love the taste of olive oil then add 1 tsp olive oil after it becomes grilled.
- Then serve it with tahini or with your favorite sauce.
Nutritional facts(1 serving): Calories 94, Protein 2g, Carbohydrates 14g, Fat 4g, Saturated Fat 0.5g, Potassium 433mg, Sodium 422mg, Sugar 9.2g, and Fiber 5.4g
You can toss them once more if you still have marinade left. Also, you can add some cheese to it and then microwave or bake it for 5-10 minutes. Even more, you can make smoked eggplant roll or you can add them to your salad.
Recipe # 2: Smoked marinated eggplant with a sweet lemon vinaigrette
- 1-2 large eggplant (with some peel off)
- 2 tsp salt
- 2-3 tbsp. oil
- Black pepper as per taste
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil ( or use any other oil which you like coconut oil)
- 1 shallot minced
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp. parsley (chopped)
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- Salt and pepper according to taste
Preparation of vinaigrette
- Take a bowl to add shallots, red pepper flakes, pepper, salt, and lemon juice. Also, mix it well with the help of a spoon or whisk.
- Slowly add the oil and mix it until the mixture becomes emulsified.
- Now add parsley and taste it if some seasoning is required then you can adjust according to your taste.
- Set aside this mixture.
Preparation of eggplant
- Take an eggplant and thoroughly wash it. Then cover it with soil and salt.
- Preheat the smoker and place eggplant in it. Smoke for at least 1 hour until it becomes tender.
- When the eggplant is done let cool down the eggplant.
- Then cut the eggplant into ½ inch slices and serve or top with vinaigrette.
- Serve it and enjoy!
How to serve marinated eggplant?
- You can serve it as a marinade in your salad dressing.
- Add as pizza topping that enhances the flavor.
- Use in a sandwich with cheese, salami, and some vegetables.
- Add in your pasta dishes or in frittatas.
How do you prevent the eggplant from getting soggy while smoking or cooking?
Firstly, slice the eggplant and add some sea or coarse salt on it. Moreover, leave it for 15-20 minutes then wash the slices and dry them with a paper towel. Throughout this process, some of the moisture, which contains bitter flavors, will be drawn out of the eggplant which improves its texture and its shape will be more stable during cooking. So, by this method, you can avoid the sogginess of eggplant during smoking or cooking.
Storage, Prep, and Freezing of marinated eggplant
Storage: The leftover smoked marinated eggplant can be stored in the fridge for three to four days in an airtight container. Moreover, whenever you want to eat you can just simply reheat it in the microwave or stove and enjoy it!
Preparation: You can cut, smoked, and marinate the eggplant for up to 2 days before eating or serve it to the guest.
Freezing: We don’t recommend the freezing of marinated eggplant because it contains high water content. So, freezing will destroy the texture of brinjal.
Frequently Ask Questions
How long does marinated eggplant last in the fridge?
If possible, let the eggplant marinate for six hours or overnight so that it can absorb the flavor of the marinade. However, the eggplant can also be left in the marinade for a few weeks.
Do you have to prepare eggplant before cooking?
You can sit salted eggplant for hours before cooking without affecting its taste or texture. But make sure that you rinse the salt well off before you cook the eggplant. Accordingly, take a paper towel and put the slice between them, and remove excess water.
How do you cook eggplant properly?
You must completely cook eggplant until it’s smooth, creamy, and meltingly soft; only then will it be flavorful on its own, and will meld well with other flavors you cook with it.
How do you smoke eggplant on the stove?
Firstly, you have to place the whole eggplant on the grate of the stove. Secondly, turn the flame on medium mode. Then cook every side of eggplant for about 5 minutes until it turns into blackish color. Moreover, the whole process takes 20-30 minutes.
How long does eggplant need to be cooked?
When you washed, dry and place eggplant on the baking dish. Also, brush the olive oil and roast it for 20-25 minutes until the slices of eggplant become tender.
Is it better to peel eggplant?
If the eggplant is small in size then the skin is edible but larger or older eggplant skin becomes biter so it should be removed.
Do you salt eggplant before grilling?
No, there is no need to salt eggplant before grilling. Furthermore, many of the recipes suggest you sprinkle salt before cooking. It does not matter how you cook it whether roast, grill, steam the salt has no effect.